Preventive Conservation challenges: PhD Seminar.
The extended PhD seminar will bring together researchers dealing with preventive conservation, social involvement and GIS applications in heritage within the context of World Heritage. It will give the opportunity to discuss important problems for the region, relevant PhD research and different scientific contributions from good practices.
Local organizing: vlirCPM Project (World Heritage City Preservation Management), Faculty of Architecture, University of Cuenca – Ecuador.
Venue: Faculty of Architecture, University of Cuenca - Ecuador
Dates: 19-20-21-22 March, 2012
Official Languages: Spanish and English Presentation - (Papers in the same languages will be accepted for publication in the conference proceedings).
- PhD students dealing with research on preventive conservation, monitoring and maintenance.
- International experts on preventive conservation, monitoring and maintenance of architectural heritage, site managers of world heritage and national heritage sites.
- In-depth exchange of information and experience; transfer of current research; discussion of options and strategies of preventive conservation, monitoring and maintenance of architectural heritage.
- Provide an international setting where they can present their ongoing work, get feedback from experts and peers and establish a valuable network for the future.
- Extension of the idea of preventive conservation of monuments and sites in South America.
- Integration of preventive conservation in the process of nomination and formulation of periodic reporting of World Heritage Sites.
- The social aspects of preventive conservation of architectural heritage: public participation, social and economic policies, and heritage management.
- The history and framework of the traditional conservation towards preventive conservation practices.
- Nomination and periodic reporting of World Heritage Sites from a preventive conservation perspective.
- The applicable technologies and successful practices of preventive conservation, monitoring and maintenance of architectural heritage.
- Heritage Management from a preventive conservation perspective.
- Abstract deadline: 06 February 2012 (abstracts less than 300 words).
- Short Paper deadline: 06 March 2012 (no less than 2 pages).
- Registration deadline: 31 January, 2011.
Heras B., Verónica, PhD student, Research at the University of Cuenca-vlirCPM Project
Universidad de Cuenca, Ave. 12 de Abril s/n,
Facultad de Arquitectura,
Tel: +593 7 4051 000 ext. 4122
1. Cardoso Fausto
South Director of the vlirCPM Project, (World Heritage City Preservation Management). University of Cuenca.
2. Zúñiga Marcelo
GIS expert, Professor at the University of Cuenca.
3. Koenraad Van Balen
Raymond Lemaire International Centre for Conservation, K.U.Leuven (BEL). Holder Unesco Chair on Preventive Conservation, Monitoring and Maintenance of Monuments and Sites (precomos.org)
4. Stefano della Torre
Professor and Head of Department BEST, Politecnico di Milano (IT), Research group on Planned Conservation
5. Thérèse Steenberghen
GIS expert, Professor at the K.U.Leuven, Research group SADL.